Overview of Mixed Methods
In the field of criminal justice, it is a well-known fact that pure quantitative research cannot adequately touch upon the many, varied nuances of many of the topics covered by most research. In addition, most criminologists would dare say that purely qualitative research often proves inadequate for providing a thorough picture of current trends in the field.
Often, researchers will combine facets of qualitative research with that of quantitative analyses. This can be likened to a best case scenario for a researcher. One can combine the inferential power of the quantitative empirical analyses with the more subtle offerings of the qualitative. Results can be more robust, representative, and generalizable.
After reading Chapter 10 of Creswell’s Research Design (pp. 215-240), discuss the appropriate use and construction of mixed methods research and research design. Pay particular attention to Creswell’s discussion regarding the components of mixed methods procedures (pp. 216 – 219). In your post, address the following:
- Explain why both qualitative and quantitative means might provide a more robust research study.
- What do you see as the most critical aspects of mixed methods research?
- How do these key tenets of mixed methods research assist us when evaluating criminal justice data?
- How do these key tenets contribute to successfully interpreting published research findings?
Your initial post should be at least 400 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references.
Creswell, J. W. (2014). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (4th ed.). Retrieved from https://content.uagc.edu
- Chapter 10: Mixed Methods Procedures
SAGE. (2013, March 1). Developing mixed methods research with Dr. John W. Creswell (Links to an external site.) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/PSVsD9fAx38
- This video by Dr. Creswell uses mixed methods research to survey participants testing a new video game. It may assist you in both your discussion and your assignment this week.
SAGE. (2013, March 1). Telling a complete story with qualitative and mixed methods research – Dr. John W. Creswell (Links to an external site.) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/l5e7kVzMIfs
- This video by Dr. Creswell shows how mixed methods research provides a more complete picture in telling a story. It may assist you in both your discussion and your assignment this week.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS