Activity 1: Nutritional Assessment Case study
Mark is a 35-year-old male in a sedentary job. He weighs 105kg and is 1.73m tall with a waist measurement of 101cm. He walks to and from work every day (20 minutes) and plays golf on the weekend. Mark’s 24-hour recall diet is as follows:
Breakfast: 3 x Wheat Bix with a cup of full cream milk
Morning Tea: Large flat white with 1 sugar
Lunch: Ham (2 slices) and cheese (2 slices, full fat) sandwich (white bread) with lettuce (1piece)
Afternoon tea: Large flat white with 1 sugar. Large blueberry muffin.
Dinner: Spaghetti Bolognaise (1 cup mince, 1 cup pasta, passata and herbs). 2 x Beers.
Supper: 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream
Case study Questions:
- Calculate Mark’s, Basal Metabolic Rate and Estimated Energy Requirement (EER) using the Schofield equation. In your answer, indicate how you calculated this.
- Compare Mark’s anthropometrical measurements to the Australian Guidelines.
- Compare Mark’s dietary intake of food groups against Australian recommendations and his EER.
- Based on your previous answers, make a short evidence-based assessment on Mark’s current health status.
Activity 2: Nutrition in Male and Female
Choose one of the following topics and briefly discuss its importance/ use in relation to male and female fertility / preconception, referring to the evidence.
- Folic acid in Female preconception OR
- Iron in Female preconception OR
- Zinc in Male preconception OR
- CoQ10 in Male preconception
Activity 3: Nutrition in Pregnancy
Watch the case study excerpt video, available in the Assessment Information area.
Case study Questions:
- Which trimester of pregnancy is Pam currently in?
- Should Pam be eating for two? How much extra energy (in Kilojoules) does Pam need from her diet in her current trimester of pregnancy?
- To give Pam examples of what your increase in energy might look like, create three examples of well-balanced meals that will help Pam achieve her increase in energy recommendation per day (Use Foodworks (xyris.com.au), Foodzone (foodzone.com.au) or Nutritics (en-au.nutritics.com) to create accurate recommendations)
- What are the current recommendations regarding fish intake in pregnancy?
- Make a recommendation of onesupplement for Pam. Please justify your answer pointing to research.